Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Politics of Food

BREAKING: Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Libertarians, Green Party members and all other voters eat food!  GASP!

Wow, folks!  It's been a long road back to here!  I'm glad to be back.  This is going to be my new landing spot for posting about all sorts of things.

Shortly I'll be sharing information about the Farm Resettlement Congress...the public surely will want to know all about it. It's the only organization I know of that actually has a plan to deal with creating an adequate local food supply!

The food movement in our local area is still going strong though the focus seems to have shifted now and again, and of late, seems to have even gotten a bit political, at least in some quarters. We still all need to work at keeping political zealotry out of the food supply in my, yes humble, opinion. You see folks, we all still have to eat, whatever our political persuasion. There might be a silver lining to the fact that all political animals have to eat, as Galen Chadwick (remember him?!?) often pointed out, we all vote three times a day...with our forks. We get to choose what we eat and where we buy it. Regarding politics, however, there are not many things more divisive than a good dose of that, I'd rate it's divisive properties right up there with serving G(enetically) M(odified) O(rganism)s at an organic picnic. That would separate the ants from the ant-eaters! I think the last food related meeting I attended was in a downtown facility which happens to have been owned by a Democrat.  Why do I even know that? Because this Democrat owner went so far as to suggest, when there was an inquiry about the price of reserving the facility for an event, that depending upon the political persuasion of the potential client there might be a discount involved, and I don't think the potential client was going to qualify for any discounts there. Anyway, I'm getting lost in the pompous (sic) grass here.

Another great food activist in our local area is Ruell Chappell. Ruell continues to foot bang the drum slowly, literally when he plays music at McSalty's Pizza Cafe on East Sunshine every Thursday night from 7-9 PM, and figuratively when he reminds just about everyone he comes into contact with to buy local, eat local, and shop locally owned businesses. Ruell has also been fighting in opposition of the Right to Farm Amendment which passed in the last election. A group, sorry the name escapes me at the moment, including Ruell has challenged the ballot language as not having actually given a fair and accurate representation of what the amendment actually would, in affect, do.  So, I think maybe tomorrow, Ruell is going to be sharing more news about that.

Well, I hope someone in the area finds this here food topicky stuff more interesting that an old, dry, boring City Council meeting report, and will drop in to see what I might be blogging about occasionally. Needless to say, my past readership of City Council nerds was rather numerically limited - I know it's really hard for City Council nerds to understand that the majority of people find City Council reporting on the dry and boring side, but, hey, I can't help that, it's the reality, believe or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment