Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Believe it or Not

What being a Southern Baptist Evangelical Christian means to me


I grew up in Southern Baptist churches. I did a little exploration in my late teens and early adulthood, but eventually settled back into the Southern Baptist theological view, as I best understand it. I have had no higher education in any seminary. I lead a Bible Study class. I read the Bible and supporting books and commentaries. I do not have any authority to speak on behalf of all Southern Baptists or the Southern Baptist Convention. I am sharing from my own experience only.

In my experience Southern Baptists don't sit around condemning people. Now, Southern Baptists certainly might pray for people if we have some concern for their spiritual or physical well-being but we don't sit around condemning people.

I, personally, drew the conclusion that the Bible and an understanding of it is what Southern Baptist theology is based upon - and ah, that is where there is always some room for discussion - but the goal is, or maybe I should say MY goal is, that I might, with the help of the Holy Spirit, understand and share what God's view is (as best understood from the Bible) not what men's views are. It is really a supernatural act, examining and understanding the word of God, as no man, none, understands the infinite mind of God, period. Scripture tells us, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Corinthians 13:12).

All Christians, if one claims to be a Christian, are to be growing in the word and having their minds changed and transformed to be like the mind of Christ, “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus,” (Philippians 2:5) and if that is the case, if we are all growing into Him, at some point, and certainly we all get there at different times, we are all works in progress, but if we are all growing into him, we should go beyond grasping John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life," which is extremely important, and also take to heart John 3:17 - "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him," and when we do, we certainly hope that we would have great compassion upon all people (the world), both singularly and in plurality because we want others to know God as we know God.

If we feel, as we should, that what the Bible tells us is true, that Jesus claims, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.” (John 14:6) then the most unloving thing we could ever do is withhold that information from the rest of the world.

Like I wrote above, I’m no authority on Southern Baptist doctrine and theology, but what I can tell you is I am primarily a product of the Southern Baptist Church in my spiritual beliefs because I chose that church as the one most aligning itself with a proper understanding and adherence to what the Bible teaches. If I believe that the only way we are able to have our intended relationship restored with the God of all creation is to believe on the Lord Jesus as God’s Son, that He was sent to be a sacrifice to redeem us for all the wrongs we have ever done and will ever do, that He rose from the dead (why the Christian celebrates Easter every year) and overcame death for us... If I have repented of wrong doing (and recognize no one will be perfect in this life) and had that very real and personal experience of tangibly seeing and feeling the change in my heart, perspective, the love of Christ drawn out in me and the way I view others, seeds of joy and peace planted in my heart that would pull me through all sorts of troubles and trials because I was “born again” into that right relationship with God, and that my friendship and a daily relationship and walk with the God who knows me better than I know myself was restored and I found in Christ a Counselor when I feel lost and alone, and more, and more, and so much more, then the only thing I can do is share that relationship with others. How could I not want to share the love I KNOW I have been given by and through Christ Jesus with other people??? 

Through Jesus Christ you will find peace with the God of all creation and you will not find peace with the God of all creation on any other path. This knowledge, in action, IS LOVE, and finds its foundational motive in love. This knowledge does not have its foundational motive in hate as some espouse. It is this love that causes the Southern Baptist to be among a group also defined as “evangelical” in practice, see more about that by following the link below:


…and check this out: “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account (Hebrews 4:12-13). 

You’ll NEVER have to give an account for your soul, your spirit, your thoughts, or the intentions of your heart to any Southern Baptist, to any evangelical Christian…that should be one of the least of your concerns, but there is one to whom all of us will give an account. The God of all the universe of all creation will eventually require an account. The way to have a right relationship restored with the One to whom you must give account is only found through Jesus Christ and you have a choice:


Believe it or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment